Smart phones and mobile internet have changed our lives. They have become an integral part of our lives and we heavily depend on them for our day to day activities. Despite that, mobile data usage on smart phones can be costly at times. Are you sick of the mobile internet fee’s? There are several measures you could take to minimize mobile internet fee’s:
1)Restrict background data
- Background data is all that internet traffic that goes on when you’re not actually using an app: email syncing, feeds updating, weather widgets and so on.
2)Stop Using the Facebook app
- Facebook app is one of the biggest consumers of data, not to mention its high resource use and battery drain.
3)Make use of offline apps, games and services
- Some apps and games require constant internet access to function: this can be simply a security measure or because they constantly need to retrieve data. There are some apps and games that don’t require internet access at all after the initial download.
4) Disable auto-updating apps
- If you have the Play Store set to auto-update apps, even over a data connection, this could be chewing its way through your allowance every month without you even knowing.
5) Identify and limit/remove high consuming apps
- In Settings > Data usage you can get a look at the apps which are consuming the most data both in the foreground and the background.
- You could remove the app, limit how often it syncs or prevent it from downloading attachments, all of which would reduce data consumption.
6) Don’t upload, download or send pictures or videos
- A single minute of high definition footage captured on a modern smart phone can take up as much as 200 MB of data. Single photos can easily exceed 40 MB.
In addition to these recommendations, If your mobile data connection is 3G you need to take some precautions. Here is why? Theoretically data consumption will be the same, except it will take longer time to do a task (loading email or downloading picture) on 2G. 3G makes difference while watching videos on Mobile. If you are using 2G the video quality will be usually 240p or less, however 3G will automatically select high resolutions like 340p or 480p. Which will increase the internet costs